Tuesday 2 December 2014

Me and my blog (Build diary)

Welcome to my build diary...

I'm Dave, I'm 33, married, no children (yet), work in IT.. Where do I start, firstly I'm a petrol head, I love cars and most things about them. I've had fast cars, fast bikes, done a few track days and driving experience days, touring holidays, etc. 

My past cars range from 10+ VW Golfs including GTi's, Rallye's, 3x R32's, a few BMW's 328, 330, 335, an Impreza, a loan 911 C4S, Audi's S3, RS3, a few bikes CBR600, GSXR1000...











I've wasted too much money on cars to even think about over the years which brings me onto building my own car. At 16 the plan was to build my first car with my father, we were going to take 12-18 months to build it and then when I passed my test the finished car would be my first. We'd looked into insurance and if fitted with a smaller engine it was actually cheaper to insurance than most production cars aimed at first time drivers. The engine could be upgraded at a later date once insurance allowed. 

We'd been to a few different kit car shows to look at potential cars, at the time the budget kit the was selling well was the Robin Hood 7, back then it looked good and most people were saying good things about it.  

So off we went to the factory to take a look around. It was a real family outing, a long weekend away in a B&B, trips to Nottingham forest etc. The factory tour went well, got to see the full kit laid out on the floor to see what you were getting for your money. I was taken out in the demo car, at just 16 you can imagine I was blown away by the speed noise and complete experience. 

Once home I was completely gagging to get the order placed, it was about the time when the SVA was first being talked of and was going to be introduced in the new future, I believe the Robin Hood kit at the time would fail the SVA, my father had concerns as we would have to rush the build to complete it in time before the SVA came into place. He made the decision it wasn't a good idea and we should wait to see what happened, I ended up getting into girls and other boy racer type cars and all kit car ideas were forgotten...


No comments:

Post a Comment