Saturday 18 April 2015

Ignition / Barrel / Key box


The aluminium I have been waiting for turned up today so I started making a to scale cardboard ignition box.  I really don't want the heavy barrel hanging off the dash so decided to make a box that would sit under the dash in the passenger footwell. 


My cardboard template cut and pushed into place.




Really not sure if its too big, will try it in aluminium as I think its going to take me a couple of attempts anyway.


Had to change the tabs round for fitting as there was no way I would be able to fit with the tabs facing in.


Template transferred to the aluminium.


Why have I never used a jigsaw for cutting the aluminium, its so much easier!!!




At this point I wished I had used thinner sheets, I went for 2mm but I really think its too thick as its very difficult to shape.




Quite pleased with the first results, however its too low and the front edge is quite sharp. This is going to cause IVA issues, time to rethink. Going to wait for the body to turn up as I might locate it somewhere else.




UPDATE: Later in the build I binned this box. 



No comments:

Post a Comment