Tuesday 3 March 2015

Engine Mounts Fitting Helicoils


When I was at MNR Marc was going through the bits and show me the engine mounting bar, which as standard is just a threaded bar that runs through the engine mounts and is bolted up either side. Where the thread isn't as thick as the mounting holes the engine can potentially still move/rattle I guess.  

Marc recommend fitting helicoils to the engine mounts so bolts could be directly attached to mounting holes rather than just a bar passing through it.


Standard threaded bar

Bolts used with helicoils.


I purchased this Helicoil kit - Clarke CHT680 Individual Thread Repairing Kit M12

The kit contains threading inserts, drill bit, tap, insertion tool & breakout pin for M12 size.



I started by passing the drill bit through the mounting hole, it fits perfectly so no drilling is required. 



I slowly starting winding in the tap into the mounting hole being careful to ensure it was straight.


Once a little way in I would turn a half turn and then back a quarter turn to clear the tap and so on. I've seen this method used on line and it works well.




Once all the way though I removed the tool, you can see the thread its cut and all the cut material.



The new Helicoil was then threaded into the mounting hole.



The little tab is snapped off using the breakout tool.




Some more pictures of the other mounts.











The nut screwed into place, it fits really well, glad I went this route. 


I might have a dry run at fitting the engine at the weekend once I have a pair of hands to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment