Saturday 5 December 2015

F*?cking Handbrake...


Been messing around with the handbrake for a while now, done a few bits to strengthen the mechanism.

First was to strengthen the chassis supports, the way I had it setup they were not strong enough.

I purchased some 8mm steel bar, and fitted this under the chassis supports.. Once bolted into position this distributed the load across the chassis supports, its now much stronger.









Next was the spacers, I used a high tensile bolt to lift the handbrake upwards, I believe the bolts and washers were allowing the bolts to bend/flex which was reducing the pressure on the pads on the discs. 

Jamie off the owners club made me some spacers (Thanks Jamie!). This created a solid base and platform for the handbrake lever to sit on. e





Where I have not tighten and adjusted it so many times one of the cables has started to break down. 



This was the final setup, or so I thought.




The link arm is flexing, not happy with it so going to make my own out of the 8mm sheet steal.



Here is my link arm in place. Its completely solid and it doesn't flex at all.







After doing everything up, and giving the handbrake a good yank it still wouldn't stop the car from moving forward when giving it a good push on the roll cage.

After investigating the disc/pad side it appears only the top half edge of the pads are in contact with the disc.




Used the garage floor to wear down the top edge of the pad to try and get as much of the pad in contact with the disc as possible.











I am using a used race pad, PolyMatrix A to help with the handbrake bite. Then i've got some PolyMatrix E's to go in once it gets back on the road. The Wilwood standard pads don't give much feel or bite. 





No comments:

Post a Comment