Saturday 31 January 2015

Trial fitting billet sump.


So I am waiting for three seals to turn up. One for the main oil pickup, and another two for the oil pipe. I wasn't going to trial fit the billet sump, I was just going to fit it first time but I'm glad as I did as slightly more involved than I first thought. 

The baffle goes in first, then the oil pipe. 




The the oil pick up gone in,  with the seal, just need to make sure the seal is coated in oil. Then the sump itself goes on. There is a small cut out the oil pickup slots into.  At this point I only loosely connected 3-4 bolts.



Decided to cover the lower part of the sump in take to avoid damaging it while the engine was on the bench. Do this after you fit it else the bolts are a nightmare to get in.

To fit the lower section the pick pick up and to be in the middle of the hole of the top sump section else the bolt holes just don't line up. As i'd only loosely fitted the top sump bolts it was easy to move the oil pickup.






I fitted a few more bolts to screw both parts. Really pleased I did a trail fit else I would have got liquid gasket everywhere. I think I still will but at least it should be better.

Once the seals turn up next week I will finish this off.



It actually sits on the sump now without falling over. The original sump won't do this.



2 comments:

  1. Firstly, awesome machine you have there and great build write up.
    I am thinking of buying one of the AB performance sump kits for my 2005 CBR1000 engine I am putting in my STM 7 replica but can't find any dimensions anywhere for the overall height. I have emailed Andy at AB but haven't received a reply. Do you know the total height of the sump, as in from where it meets the block to the bottom of the sump iteself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments.. The 2005 motor is different from the 2008 onwards.. Do you know if the sumps are similar?

      Thought about going for a 2008 on motor?

      Delete